Wednesday, April 9, 2014

God's Rest

It’s great at times when I have had to take a connecting airline flight in travel, and things just worked and everything went smoothly.  Life just flows.  I did not have to run to the connecting flight.  I made it in time.  I want to make my “connecting” flights in life with the right person.

When I was dating my former spouse it was like going through all green lights through downtown Indianapolis.  We were on a roll and it was amazing.  Everything just worked in our relationship.

I’ve never experienced anything like that since in dating the last six years.  It was like I was dating a man who had divine favor from God.   I know from the start of my relationship that my former husband wanted to get remarried.   

A major problem I’ve faced now at my age is that several Christian men I’ve dated for a longer period of time were not interested in finding a wife, they were interesting in getting involved. 

He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.  Proverbs 18:22

At times life is a struggle.  I struggle with relationships and finding the right job.   We are to take the yoke of Jesus.  Jesus yoke is light.  It’s the same in a marriage as far as letting God work in a relationship as far as taking on lighter yoke.   It’s disappointing to hear about marriages falling apart.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29

Can we really “do” anything for God?   The Bible does talk about being co-laborers with God.  If we are bearing fruit by abiding in the vine, fruit does not have to strain to come out of vine – it comes out naturally.  We are to bear fruit whether it’s spiritual fruit or sharing our faith.

Jesus said “without him we can do nothing.’

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  John 15:5  
For all who have entered into God's rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world. Hebrews 4:10

Even when Paul said he labored harder than anyone else, but it was not Paul it was the grace of God in him.   

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 1 Cor. 15:1

God is the creator of the universe.  There is one scripture that says, “Is there anything too hard for you?”  Sarah laughed at God when the angel told her she was going to have a child.

Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son." 

Jeremiah said the same thing:

"O Sovereign Lord! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!  Jeremiah 32:17

What I found in life the times I’ve been used by the Lord is when I’ve said, “God I’ll do whatever you want me to do and go wherever you want me to go.” It was like Isaiah said, “Lord send me.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8 

I said that when I was a young Christian and soon afterwards joined a full time Christian missionary group.  I’ve not always found “flexible” people in life or a flexible marriage partner.

I was talking recently to an HR manager of a potential company that I sent my resume and she said they were looking for flexible people.  I worked at a hospital where I worked for 17 director and the CEO and everyone wants something in a different way.  I was able to organize the work and set priorities on who got their work first.

Same at my last position as far as working for several students, faculty and managers, what got confusing at times is multiple managers wanting things at the same time.

In life, I’m just making sure there are not multiple managers running my life or multiple voices.  Same with a relationship as far as finding a person who marches to the same drum in life I march to which is the drum of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Many people are marching to their own drum which is always getting their own way all the time.  They don’t know how to submit to God in their life and do his will.

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you. Job 22:21
Part of knowing God’s will is really understanding his word.  It makes ministry a lot easier, when it’s in our heart rather than in our head.  Knowledge puffs up but charity edifies.

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that "We all possess knowledge." But knowledge puffs up while love builds up.

Anyway, even if one person does their part as saying, "God I want whatever you want in my life and I'll go wherever you want me to go" at least we do our part in life.

What I think is rather funny is how some people are afraid to pray that because they think that God will send them to a foreign country on a mission.  I've always wanted to do that all my life and I've never had a leading to go.  I even claimed that scripture where it says, "Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. Psalm 2:8"

I claimed India and then I ended up working at a university with a lot of students from India.  Same with having a roommate from China.  So although I have not gone to another country, I have found that people from other countries have come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment