Saturday, April 26, 2014

What is God's Favor?

Favor is a grace or a divine anointing, where we don’t have to try so hard. In the past, I got myself stuck in a bad marriage or at work in a bad situation where it was like I had a “gun to my head.” It can also happen with trying too hard in a job interview. That is one of the “no-no’s” in dating or job interviewing is not to be desperate.

Favor is necessary for ministry as far as God’s work, a job or a marriage which is a ministry as far as meeting each others needs and desires.

I heard the message on favor back when I was in my 20’s, and it makes life a whole lot easier to walk in favor. I believe it was a key of why my husband and I had a good relationship considering that second and third marriages have a higher failure rate.

Favor is based on the scriptures how Jesus and Joseph had favor with God and man. We see in both cases with them there were times that jealousy hindered favor. Joseph had problems with his brothers and Jesus had problems with the religious leaders.

And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. Luke 2:52
Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned. Genesis 39:4

Mary had divine favor in being chosen to have Jesus, although that was not an easy path.

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. Luke 1:30

Samuel had favor

And the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the Lord and with people. 1 Samuel 2:26

Noah had favor.
But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. Genesis 6:8

Daniel and the three Hebrews had favor although they had to overcome obstacles along the way which was getting thrown in a firery furnace and a lion's den.

I learned a lesson with “who” opens good job doors in my life when I worked at Methodist Hospital in 1994. I had a great woman middle manager that was wonderful. I remember having a thought, “I’m glad I work in the healthcare field it’s so stable.” Right after that thought I had a dream that my manager’s job was going to be cut and my job was going to be cut. It happened just like I dreamed and there was re-engineering where middle nursing manager’s positions were cut. They also let go of ten facilities managers the same day –they called it Black Tuesday.

God blesses us with talents and we have a choice how to use the talents, but any of us can’t boast about what we do – at any time in life we can lose our health that can limit our ability. I believe that is what Jesus talked about not “boasting” about our life.

Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath. Romans 8:18

And he began reasoning to himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no place to store my crops?' "Then he said, 'This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."' "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?'… Luke 12:18-20

I was thinking about my job interviews and I’ve only had five so far compared to have around 20 in the past. I had a good rapport with the HR managers, but when I got to the second round my references were not called and they did not seem very interested in my portfolio so I did not have the favor I’ve needed to get hired. When I was thinking about it, I heard this scripture.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, So the Lord surrounds His people From this time forth and forever.…Psalm 125:1-2
It’s a song I remember singing a long time ago. I know my security and stability is in Christ. He is the rock. My favor with God is based on what Jesus did for me as far as “I am accepted in the beloved.”

To the praise of the glory of his grace, in which he has made us accepted in the beloved. Ephesians 1:6

At times favor has backfired on me as far as I’ve had favor with some guys I would rather not. I was talking to this one guy recently who wanted my phone number at a secular single's group, and then he said he followed my daughter and I home part way from a social.

I was thinking, “Great now I’ve have to look over my shoulder when I drive home from a stalker.” Like Joseph had problems with Potiphar’s wife. I’ve also had some jobs where they did not turn out so well so when I’m asking God for favor, I also ask that I see the “right” doors to go through as far as “a witness in my spirit.”

I took this one job for a COO and I interviewed with the HR manager, but not the main manager. The HR manager was wonderful but within one week, my main managers yelled at me 2 or 3 times. I told him that I was not going to put up with his ill behavior. I went through an agency and the agency was going to hold me to the contract. I was able to get out of the position through the HR manager and my contract.

That small hospital closed down 1-2 years later due to financial problems. The COO was taking his stress out on me and all the managers came up to me and told me they did not blame me for leaving. It’s very difficult to work for a manager where his/her job is always “under the gun” for performance. At times I’ve just stayed at a job for the benefits or a pay check (extrinsic), but now I prefer more intrinsic rewards as far as enjoying working with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment