Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ministry to God's Leftovers

I’ve had this “glamorous” calling to those people who feel they are outcasts of society.    It started as a street ministry when I was 17 years old from reading David Wilkerson’s “Cross and the Switchblade” and being involved with other people who did the same for several years, next it was teen prison ministries and lately it has been single, widow’s and homeless ministries.  I see it transitioning into nursing home ministries in the future.  I’m having my 18th single social coming up this weekend.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 2 Peter 1:10

I’ve had these jobs starting in my 20’s with lawyers for about three years, next with physicians for ten years and then educators for twenty years that have a high income and I was married to a professional civil engineer. 

What is strange though, is I’ve always had a leading that I was called to minister at church to lower level income people.   My former spouse felt the same way, he liked working with Boy Scouts and boys of single parent families.

We tend to abandon those we consider less successful or weak in life.   It can be those with mental, emotional or even physically handicapped.

It’s really opposite to what God wants.  God tells us rather than abandoning the weak, we are supposed to give special grace to our lesser body parts.

On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 1 Cor. 12:23

We hear about Jesus blessing and feeding the five thousand men which was probably about 20,000 with women and children through the disciples with the five loaves and two fish, but we don’t know what Jesus did with the leftovers.  One single woman has been using her garden to feed the homeless.

HAVING EYES, DO YOU NOT SEE? AND HAVING EARS, DO YOU NOT HEAR? And do you not remember, when I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many baskets full of broken pieces you picked up?" They said to Him, "Twelve." "When I broke the seven for the four thousand, how many large baskets full of broken pieces did you pick up?" And they said to Him, "Seven."… Mark 8:19

No comments:

Post a Comment